Batch downloading images, and renaming them, isn’t something you’ll use often, but when you do, doing it in bulk can really save you quite a bit of time.
Why would you want to do it?
Well, plenty of reasons. From migrating images, wanting to bulk optimise their file names, or downloading imagery from brands for products you sell.
Using the attached Excel file, you can insert all the new image names, along with their current source URLs, and the macro will download all the images, give them the new names, and also save them as .jpg files no matter their source extension.
How to batch download & rename images with Excel
The following is the process on how to download images from url in excel and rename them;
1. Download and open the Excel image URL downloader
2. Click on Developer > Macros and then hit edit on the selected one in the file
3. Edit the folder path that is highlighted, with it needing to point to a folder that currently exists. This is where the newly renamed images will be downloaded too. If you point it to a folder that doesn’t exist, it won’t visually create the folder. However, if you create the folder after the fact, all the files will be there. So, yeah.
4. Insert all the new image names in, ensuring the new name includes dashes, and doesn’t include a file extension
5. Click on ‘macros’ and then click run on the selected macro
You’ll now get ‘File Downloaded Successfully’ on all the files that have downloaded from the websites okay.
You’ll see an error if it doesn’t work, with most errors I have seen attributed to being blocked by the source you’re scraping. Depending on the use, you can ask for your IP to be unlocked, but sometimes it’s just quicker to throw on a VPN.
Another issue I have seen is that if you include an extension in the name, you will end up with double image extensions like .jpg .jpg. You can modify the script by dropping the .jpg extension that’s included if you really want, but it’s just easier to exclude the extension names.
Successful bulk image download from URL & Rename
This URL image downloader should have now successfully downloaded and renamed all the images you will need, extremely fast.
One Reply to “Bulk Download Images from URLs – Convert & Rename”
Great tool, thank you so much,